Saturday, August 12, 2017

Review: Her Enemy at the Altar

Her Enemy at the Altar Her Enemy at the Altar by Virginia Heath
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book had the unlucky coincidence of being read right after a lackluster book that pretty much had the same storyline.

Tall heroine who hides her hurt behind a tough abrasive exterior. This book's heroine was better constructed but the whole "I can never believe I have any minuscule attractiveness to me" carried on far too long. It ended up giving her a bit of immaturity.

Poor gorgeous hero who needs to marry for money to save estate. Same character outline as the other books I read but story placement here was a bit different with hero and heroine's families having a centuries old feud. The feud wasn't really explained but how it effected their present families was detailed. They are caught in a compromising position and hero marries heroine even though her father doesn't give him her dowry, thus bankrupting the hero.

This book had more of a story construct but how long it takes the hero and heroine to develop past the immature "I hate you!" "No, I hate you!" took too long and I missed seeing their relationship without any animosity.
Since I read this right after not enjoying an extremely similar storyline, I definitely think I already had my fill of insecure abrasive tall heroines (I'm even one!) and the poor gorgeous heroes who just want them to recognize how regal they are.
The bottom line, I was exhausted by how long it took hero and heroine to move beyond their animosity.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment