Sunday, September 13, 2020

Review: The Sun Down Motel

The Sun Down Motel The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5 stars 

 I am hunting the hunter, and he suspects it. The game is on. 

Carly learns that her aunt disappeared without a trace in 1982 and after her mother's death, decides to investigate it. She travels to Fell, NY and winds up getting the same job and schedule that her aunt had at the Sun Down Motel. What follows is an engrossing mystery involving ghosts and a killer. 

The format with the author switching chapters from Carly's pov in 2017 to her aunt Viv's in 1982 fit the story perfectly. Carly would find a clue in 2017 and then we would go back to Viv in 1982 and see how that found clue developed and the who and what involved with it. This had a very Cold Case tv series episode feel to it and I think will definitely hit the right spot with people interested in the true crime vibe that is popular right now. 

The Sun Down Motel was a perfect setting to raise the hair on your arms and while the ghosts weren't outright scary, they definitely added some spookiness. The message threaded through the story of how women aren't taken seriously or listened to and how they live with the constant heaviness of how just being alone in public can be a danger will strike a cord with a lot. When the line: “I’m the one you didn’t kill,” is spoken, I felt my eyes water up out of nowhere. It felt in some small way, women victims of such crimes getting justice through this one moment. 

Secondary characters were utilized perfectly but I did think the attraction Carly had towards Nick came off immature at times and really felt misplaced in the overall tone the story had (I know, me saying the one sort of romance plot wasn't needed, crazy!). 

I really hope they make this into a movie or limited tv series; the story and characters would translate perfectly. If looking for a mystery that has some set you on edge factor, this one was engrossing and I recommend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment