Friday, September 11, 2020

50%

 


She looked like any one of a million women in family photographs a generation ago, except that she was looking at me, and she was not real.

This whole scene was wild, how the crazy stuff started to hit all at once. Nick's character is still a wild card to me, I'm not sure how he fits in. Will something about his family tragedy come into play or is there to just mirror the Jamie that was pseudo in Viv's life (from what I've read so far). 

In that vein too, the mirroring of Viv's roommate Jenny to Carly's roommate Heather, makes me so scared for Carly and how this girl isn't completely scared/creep-ed out too is a mystery to me. 

The salesman had written his name in big, bold letters: JAMES MARCH. She flipped back in the book, remembering back to the night with the smoke and the voices. She paged back and back until she saw that same bold, black handwriting. MICHAEL ENNIS, he’d written. No one here tells the truth, Viv thought. Not ever.

Ok, so I need to do more than side-eye the traveling salesman. The scene where Viv's at his house made me want to screech at her to run. But doesn't he suddenly seem too obvious? 

She’s still there, and she’s telling me to run.

Does Betty only show up when the salesman is at the hotel? 

This Callum kid started off ok and then the whole smothering thing he is trying to do with Carly makes me wonder what his deal it. 

“You think? I’ve lived here all my life. Every woman was afraid when Betty Graham died. Every single one. We locked our doors and didn’t go out at night. Our mothers called us ten times a day. Even my mother, and Betty was white. Because we were all Betty. For a few weeks, at least. You know?”

This was the reality: It wasn’t just these girls. It could always, always be her or someone she knew.

What would I have done? Because this could have been her, storming out of the house at eighteen after a fight with her mother. Or leaving work. Doing what women did every day.

These lines, oof. 

I really am liking how a clue will get revealed in 2017 and then we go back to 1982 and get the meaning and situation of the clue, it's such a cool way to tell the story. 

I am hunting the hunter, and he suspects it. The game is on.

Do I need to let go of other suspects, is it the salesman?

No comments:

Post a Comment