Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Review: Familiar Showdown

Familiar Showdown Familiar Showdown by Caroline Burnes
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

“Eleanor, his owner, says he’s a detective. That people around the world hire him to solve cases.” 

This book was a bit wild, each chapter has a pov from Familiar, our sassy black cat detective. This was #22 in a series and to say the least, I was a bit lost with Familiar's background. 

He's staying with Stephanie, a friend of Eleanor and his human daddy, Peter Curry, D.V.M. while they're in Washington D.C. I'm not sure how Familiar came to be a detective but this guy was investigating on the internet and With my private investigator knowledge he had figured out that Johnny, the drifter cowboy, was actually an undercover agent that had been partners with Stephanie's supposed dead fiance. Stephanie had no idea her fiance worked for the government and finds herself in danger when a drug kingpin shows up looking for a microchip that he thinks the supposed dead fiance hid on her ranch. 

There's also some neighbor trouble with Stephanie trying to "gentle" a horse that the neighbor beat. There's some lying, hiding, and danger but I stuck around for the cat povs. I wouldn't recommend jumping in at #22 like I did, I have a lot of unanswered questions about Familiar and the case that Familiar is helping to work was connected with some pretty far fetched threads. The romance between Stephanie and Johnny that develops had the all the weight of a feather. 

Come for the detective cat, stay for the detective cat.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment