Thursday, September 3, 2020

60%

 


*Spoilers in update*

So if Vida was/is Adeline and Adeline is the "evil" twin, I'm very worried for Margaret.

They don’t realize that I am alive, she thought. They don’t know that anyone is alive but themselves. It is a tribute to her goodness that she didn’t find them monstrous. Instead, she felt sorry for them.

These twins are freaking me the f out. Give me all the creepy crawlies books but children, nah, too spooky for me.

Like I mentioned before, unreliable narrators (Vida) in books instantly put my paranoid back up, I'm wondering if the Dr. that talked to Margaret about Vida is even a Dr. or if Vida paid him?

Still, a doctor’s wife apparently dead in the music room was a problem he couldn’t ignore.

Few can! 

I feel like we lost some of Isabelle here, she comes home a widow and then when we see her next, she's being shipped off to an asylum. I feel like there could be a horrifying creepy novella about her story there.

Yet the man in the brown suit was a figment of her imagination. I should have expected it. She was a spinner of yarns, wasn’t she? A storyteller. A fables. A liar. And the plea that had so moved me—Tell me the truth—had been uttered by a man who was not even real.

Ok, so, yep, something that was supposed to be presumed true is proved false about what Vida said. I do like how Margaret is fact checking Vida but the absolutes of truth are still in lingering doubt.

I turned the handle and let the door swing open. There was movement! My sister! Almost I took a step toward her.

Margaret needs to relax. This always thinking she is seeing her sister in mirrors, is coming off exhausting. Maybe I'm not giving enough credence to how real the ghost part is or how much it impacts Margaret but this came off more annoying than spooky to me.

I lived in shadows, had made friends with my grief, but in my mother’s house I knew my sorrow was unwelcome. She might have loved a cheerful, chatty daughter, whose brightness would have helped banish her own fears. As it was, she was afraid of my silences.

Oof, another gorgeous passage that hits on those mother-daughter relationships and how individuals handle grief.

When Vida starts using "I" in the story it confused me at first, thinking Margaret was tying in there somehow but when I figured out what was happening, it feels like a significant switch.


Aurelius is a character I can't quite get a hold of, his inclusion is somewhat confusing. 

What is with all the mirrors and talk of ghosts in them???


No comments:

Post a Comment