Thursday, January 14, 2021

The Romancies - Part 6: Favorite Couple

 


*The books eligible could be published in any year, they simply had to be read by me in 2020. 
Clicking on book cover brings you to my review

Nominees:






1.  Hannah and Nardi - Bliss by Judy Cuevas

In the musty dark of the attic, Hannah felt heartened at last. And so very impressed with the real Nardi de Saint Vallier. He might not be a prince, but he was heroic: a man ready to face his nemesis, all that had worn him down before. Better than the fancy trousers and pretty coats that had once impressed her, this man had a magnificent fortitude.

If you have been following along with The Romanices, this should come as no surprise. These two, just, what complete characters, faults, hopes, fears, strength, and love. I loved how they challenged, changed, and loved one another.


2.  Phoebe and Deverell - Scandal and Miss Smith by Julia Byrne

"However, if you expect me to believe that you permitted your wards to remain in London because I threatened to leave, you will be sadly disappointed. A mere governess would have no influence on you, my lord." 
"You'd be surprised, Miss Smith," he said grimly.

A sweetly stubborn governess and a lion guardian with a thorn in his paw. Phoebe had a great backbone that made Deverell want to tease and push her to blushing. I delighted in their chemistry and back and forth.


3.  Severine, William Doyle, and Adrian Hawkurst - Beauty Like the Night by Joanna Bourne

Hear me out on this one, I know these three aren't a romantic couple but romantic love isn't the only type of love out there. If you're a reader of the series, you'll have watched William fall in love himself and become a defacto father to Severine and Adrian, who is also Severine's brother-in-law. This familial relationship had a sweet satisfaction to it, we've seen these three go through the ringer and it just warms my heart that they have each other.


4.  Elle and Rex - Forever and a Duke by Grace Burrowes

“You seek to be silly?” Ellie did have a devious turn of mind, no need to take offense at the truth when the same quality kept a roof over her head. His Grace's expression remained utterly serious. 
“Dukes are never silly.” 
This duke was. “Good to know. Auditors are never frivolous.” Ellie shared a smile with Elsmore, which felt both silly and frivolous, also slightly dangerous.

I mentioned this quote earlier, it was a nominee for Favorite Scene, but I'm going to mention it again because it perfectly captures what I enjoyed between these two, playfulness that becomes awareness. These two surprise one another with how much they like each other and I loved how Rex's gentle charming humor invited in Elle, even when she was trying to keep him at arms length.


5.  Liya and Jay - The Trouble With Hating You by Sajni Patel

“You think you see more?” she sneered. 
“I see so deep into you, Liya, that you can’t hide yourself from me. Even things you don’t want me to see. I love every piece of beauty, every imperfection, and I can’t get enough.”

Liya started off growling but as Jay's humble, calm, and not afraid to tease and poke personality got under the hard layer of Liya, they were a winsome couple to read about. Couples that can smooth each other's rough edges and bring out a part of personality normally kept in, that's wonderful to read. 


6.  Jane and Raven - My Kind of Earl by Vivienne Lorret

She quieted the restless sense of separation he’d felt all his life.

I loved these two, instead of insta-lust the author wrote instant awareness and what a burning delicious tingle up the spine these two gave off. The ending had Raven saying something to Jane that I thought was cruel but for 90% of the book, their chemistry was on point. I felt the heat between them and that also makes for an enjoyable reading experience. 


7.  Jules and Jake - Love Hard by Nalini Singh

Jake “Golden Boy” Esera and Juliet “Bad Influence” Nelisi? Nope. Nope. Triple extra nope. 

I loved these two together, they had a great ease to how their characters flowed together and delicious heat to their tension. Jake supporting Jules but ultimately letting her make her own decisions, made the romance flourish in the story. I also liked how when they couldn't battle their sexual heat anymore, came to an agreement to scratch the itch once to get it out of their system, but didn't drag out when they realized there was deeper feelings involved. The teasing between them when Jules figured out that the "Golden Boy" wasn't a morning person and teased him about his grumpiness was so cute too. 


8.  Elle and Darcy - Written in the Stars by Alexandria Bellefleur

“Just because it started out fake doesn’t mean it can’t become real, right?” 

The opposites attract is clear right away but what I enjoyed about Elle and Darcy's connection was that with their initial and mutual physical attraction, with each meeting, it was clear how emotionally they were fitting into each other's grooves. Darcy has a tough exterior wall but with each date with Elle, it cracks and she lets her in more and more.


9.  Samiah and Daniel - The Boyfriend Project by Farrah Rochon

A potent, electric charge sizzled in the air between them, a sensation so strong he felt it on his skin. 

With two people who were mentally and professionally not wanting to get involved romantically, Samiah and Daniel couldn't deny their potent chemistry. I thought the author did a great job setting these two up and their initial physical attraction that deepened into a friendship and eventual romantic and sexual relationship. This couple was more soft together than sparking and if you read Graces Burrowes, I compared them to her usual couple's chemistry; they fit and click in a way that has them immediately together. Samiah and Daniel had a sweet friendship that built to a sexy romance and I had a great time getting to read about it.


10.  January and Gus - Beach Read by Emily Henry

“I lied,” he whispered against my ear. “I have read your books.” 

This couple's past relationship in college and how they misread each other's thoughts and feelings was a perfect bridge to January learning to look into the shadows and Gus discovering that he can bring light to the dark. I enjoyed their wit and snark that had such an ease to it; they weren't “on” for each other, it was just their chemistry. I did think at times their cutesy knee bumping while sitting felt a bit juvenile but overall I liked their friendship and that had me believing in their love. These two sparked and burned. 


Winner:


Elle and Darcy













Elle loved herself, but what a feeling it must be, being loved by someone else exactly as you are, quirks and warts and all.

This was obviously a battle with Hannah and Nardi. Maybe it's the current times but I sunk into how "normal" (not high drama/angst) these two were with their dysfunctions. I thought the author did a great job showing and taking us on the journey of their relationship developing and making me feel all those emotions, fear, hope, and attraction. There was a deepness and a lightness to Elle and Darcy that still brings a smile to my face when I think of them. 


2018 Winner


2017 Winner

2016 Winner

2015 Winner

2014 Winner


What couple was your favorite from 2020?

And finally, next time, Favorite Contemporary, Historical, and Book of 2020...

No comments:

Post a Comment