Sunday, May 21, 2017

Review: The Earl Next Door

The Earl Next Door The Earl Next Door by Charis Michaels
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

1.5 stars

Was there a love triangle involving a staircase in this? 'Cause it felt like there was a love triangle involving a staircase.

The story felt chaotic with all the characters, nosy neighbors, a bachelor earl who simply dramatically can't quit kissing the heroine, cartoon-y villainous mother and five step-brothers, bad guy Greek, and more.

The hero had no depth while the heroine sort of did but the unevenness of her having the courage to travel to England to buy a house on her own but couldn't possibly stand up to her family had me head tilting. Also, what is up with the whole paper thin catalyst of the heroine moving to England? Head tilt. Don't even ask me about the inheritance issue and how mom and bros wanted to get control of the money. I also can't really comment on the pseudo-Greek mafia dude who showed up at the end because my eyes were a glazing by that time.

This was a new to me author and she had some moments that felt encouraging but the story was too chaotic, the hero severely lacked depth, and I need more in my relationships than "I can't help but kiss you!" a few minutes later and a dramatic turn away "I can never marry you! Stay away!" repeated for 80% of the story. Seriously, this is what composed the majority of their relationship. I would also recommend not reading this if in an actual historical mood, 'cause yeah, head tilt. The upgrade to 2 stars is for the glimpse of cute moments between the hero and heroine.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment