Thursday, June 6, 2024

Quickie Review: A Shadow in the Ember

A Shadow in the Ember A Shadow in the Ember by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 stars

Roped me in with the fantasy world in the beginning, started to lose me in the middle with every stupid time Sera put herself in obvious danger, recaptured my attention with those scorching sex scenes, and then pulled me back in with those reveals that will make the series. 

Probably needs a little more filling out of the outside fantasy world 
Does it feel like their talking slips into too casual for a fantasy world setting? 
Sera needs to stop being purposefully TSTL so Ash can smoke in to save the day 
Felt a little stretched out in the middle 

Ok, I looked to see how long the series is, 4 books at 600 pgs each???? Y'all. Who rec'd this book to me? I just want to talk. 

I'll probably read the next in the series, because I do feel interested after those revealed plot points but for friends that have read this series, is there really enough story here for 600 pgs in each book? I don't want to dragged through endless filler.

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. ....and yeah, this goes firmly in the "nope, not for me" list. Thank you for taking one for the rest of us. (A TSTL heroine that keeps being TSTL just so she can be rescued by a man? not just "no" but a heartfelt and very loud "hell no")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a weird dichotomy, because she's supposed to be this tough, trained all her life, character too. She could fight and often won in fights but she so dumbly put herself in situations that didn't need to happen.

      Delete
    2. When we are told that someone is super good at something, then they are shown behaving in ways that visibly make them bad at that? That's the biggest turn off for me as a reader.

      Delete