Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Quickie Review: Lassiter

Lassiter Lassiter by J.R. Ward
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

“I haven't stopped thinking of you,” he said. “I might have been gone, but I took you with me.” 

I've only read the first ten books in the BDB series, so while I've got a firm footing in the world, I'm not up-up-date on the latest happenings, which I think may have helped me here? Where I left off, Lassiter was just being introduced, so I haven't had to suffer and wait with all you for his book all these years, the anticipation building. The war with the Lessers seems to have been settled? But, oh wait, Lash is back? The only disappointment I really felt about this is that I've missed the climatic war ending, but oh boy can I see you all feeling manipulated that, record scratch, it's not over? 

“Wrong deeds for the right reasons,” she intoned. 

There were the,usual, numerous offshoot threads going on in this, and since I didn't come into this with a big connection with Lassiter and/or Rahvyn, this might be why I enjoyed the story. I can't say I ever really felt like I knew Rahvyn, she seemed too ethereal(?) good to me. It seems I came in after they've already connected and have love formed between them and this was just about Lassiter accepting that he could have Rahvyn in his life. It felt a little disconnected that Devina seemed to play a huge part in keeping them apart, but there was never a big battle scene or anything between them? It was just Lassiter figuring out that the curse kind of worked in his favor and instead of staying away from Rahvyn, he should be with her. 

“I bonded with who I thought you were,” he whispered. “But yeah, I'm in love with who you actually are.” 

That third act breakup, with Rahvyn pushing Lassiter away, felt so forced and contrived, she asked questions but didn't really stay and listen for the answers. I didn't get how it seemed important that Lassiter didn't have his halo and then suddenly, he did? This just felt like a rush job to do what happened to Wrath (oh my gosh, I see what all the emotion was about now!) and get that thirty year jump so the kids can be grown up. I've been dying for Nalla's book years ago when I read Zsadist, so, I'm not completely upset, lol. Anyway, it was fun to check in and see where things are and the world still keeps my interest because the world-building has such width and breadth. I do wish there was a new enemy, because it does feel like another Lessening war is rinse and repeat, but my attention is remained caught and I'll still be checking into this series.

7 comments:

  1. I used to love this series!! When I discovered it, the 6th book was about to be released and i joined the hype and the obsession, back when the author had her message forum. I remember I cried and cried over book #5, by how unfair everything was in that book.... anyway, I've faithfully followed the series and I have defended it even, here and there, about its new path after a certain point, which many readers have disliked. But we do change and evolve and I confess I have not felt the same passion over the most recent books... perhaps now the hype is gone and my tastes changed a little too... I still love the books and the world until book #14 or something, but after that it has only been good and sometimes less than that.... I'm still thinking if I want to read Lassiter and (perhaps) feel disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I joined in on the hype the same time as you! Zsadist remains my favorite but I've really slowed down with reading, like I said, I'm only up to book 10 and haven't read any of the offshoot series.

      You sound like a lot of the fans on GRs, it seems like it's really faded away from what it once was for most fans. This one had a huge moment in it that really made fans mad and I can see why, it was kind of wild what Ward did with one of the characters. I'll be really curious to see what you think when /if you decide to read it.

      I have to read the next Beloved, because it's Zsadist's daughter and I'm too much of a fangirl to stay away lol.

      Delete
    2. Hi!
      My favorite book is Butch's. So many great scenes in that book, world building related...
      I think what is truly disappointing is how the effort in developing complex characters feels wasted when, in following books, the established HEAs are targeted in pointless ways. So many things that could happen instead...
      I still have 2 books to read, physical copies I'll certainly get to at some point, but Lassiter has been one of those characters that clearly fits the end of an arc, but.... I will have to agree with some readers who say the author thought of certain world rules which put her choices into a very definite corner, and now to solve some issues is tricky. I don't know... I'm thinking perhaps it's best to save up the good feelings and the good memories...

      Delete
    3. effort in developing complex characters feels wasted
      Yes! I had to read Beloved because it's about a grown-up Nalla and I was craving seeing scenes with her and her dad Zsadist. Zsadist and Bella were empty shells of their original characters :(

      An established HEA is a HUGE target in Lassiter. It's a book with an end to an arc and a beginning of one.

      Have you seen that they're going to do a tv show of the series? It will be on Passionflix and I'm wildly curious how they are going to attempt to pull it off.

      Delete
    4. Your words just make me less eager to want to read Lassiter....

      I saw some reference to it, but since I don't have that streaming channel?, I'll like won't watch it... although I suppose images and trailers will be available on youtube or something. I'm very scared of any adaptation of a beloved book/series! It never fits our personal preferences!

      Delete
    5. Sorry, that was meant to be "I 'll LIKELY won't watch"....

      Delete
    6. Totally get that feeling, book adaptations rarely seem to hit their marks.

      Delete