Saturday, July 17, 2021

#TBRChallenge: July - Secrets and Lies

 


This #TBRChallenge is set-up by @SuperWendy (blog). Besides the theme months, this is a pretty relaxing challenge. On the third day of every month participants are encouraged to use the hashtag TBRChallenge and discuss the book they plucked from obscurity. I decided to make a personal rule that a book had to be in my TBR for at least 5 years.

July's theme is Secrets and Lies. Oooooh, the secrecy and angsty drama that could come from this theme! This theme was a little more challenging (ha!) to pick for. I glance over reviews sometimes but don't like to spoil myself. So, I had to go by synopsis and hope I judged correctly that secrets and lies will be a big theme in the story. On my tbr since 2014, Secrets of a Heart by Samantha Garman jumped out at me, because you guessed it, the word "secrets" in the title. I'm about 20% in and man, can I spot the secrets and lies vibe. The hero watched his father hang for treason and with their title and wealth stripped, he ends up jumping ship, literally! He gets saved by a captain, who stopped some men from murdering him and finds himself on a pirate ship. There's a pov from a mysterious villain who let us in on the fact that he set-up the hero's father (Lies!). The next chapter jumps us 10 years later and the hero is now the captain of the ship and heading back to England undercover to restore his good name by ferreting out the secrets (!) of his father's past. There hasn't been much about the heroine so far, but she's recently been made penniless. Come save her undercover pirate captain!


TBRChallenges: 






No comments:

Post a Comment