Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Review: Unbound

Unbound Unbound by Cara McKenna
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.7 stars 
 
I read this for the # TBRChallenge, previous updates with my full thoughts, comments, and quotes can be found: 





In it's outline, this is a grumpy + sunshine (with a life saving doggo!) with a heroine taking a trip to Scotland to find herself. She comes upon a hermit (who's hot!) and ends up having to stay with him when she gets sick. 

In author McKenna's hands it becomes so much more with characters who have layers and layers. Rob our hero is an alcoholic which is partly caused by his personal kink of needing to be tied up and wanting to be submissive and feel used in the bedroom. This ends up fitting perfectly with our heroine Merry as she is in the process of discovering who she really is and wanting to exert her power. Notice those dynamics, a big strong manly man who is submissive in the bedroom and our less physically powerful heroine alone but wanting to feel powerful? Brilliant. 

Along with the character layers there is depth and emotion. I had endless lines, quotes, and scenes to highlight and discuss in my reading updates. I did think Rob held back from telling Merry he was an alcoholic for too long as it gave a little bit of a rushed feeling to the end. I was disappointed we didn't get to "see" Merry and her friends have a moment or Rob with his brother. 

Overall, though, this hit me in the feels and if you can handle some sexy SEXY times, Unbound is a book you need to read, then come talk to me about it :) 

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one but I read and liked Hard Time. Have you read that one?

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Hard Time but it's on my tbr, lol. Willing Victim is my favorite I've read by her so far. Since she doesn't seem to be writing anymore I'm trying to spread out her books. I'm going to be so sad when I've read them all.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's somewhat bittersweet when authors we like stop writing. Even more so if they don't/can't finish a series!

      Delete
  2. So good to have you with us this year! I haven't read this author, yet, but it sounds like a fun book. Glad you found some comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I'm enjoying seeing what everyone read for Comfort. McKenna is an extremely talented author but her books are erotica or have strong elements of it, so not for everyone.

      Delete