Sunday, March 21, 2021

Review: Anything for Love

Anything for Love Anything for Love by Connie Brockway
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this for the #TBRChallenge, previous updates with my full thoughts, comments, and quotes can be found: 





This is one of Brockway's very early pubs and while I do think you can tell, there was still some of the Brockway magic. The hero is the softy and the one declaring his love and trying to get the heroine to marry him. He was rescued by her father from the slums of New York as a young Irish boy and then sent to Yale. The father decided that he didn't like that his daughter had a friendship with him and decided to pull his financial support and give the draft office the hero's name which causes the hero to fight in the American Civil War before then going back to school on his own dime. The hero ends up surveying for the Smithsonian and trying to get a law in place that would make land in Colorado into a National Park (what is now Yellowstone). 

The heroine ends up in the same CO town as she's trying to prove to her father that she can run or be apart of their companies charitable foundation. The whole father pulling support to the hero wasn't exactly written crisply along with the heroine's motives toward proving herself and way she was going about it. 

The small western town in CO in the late 1800s vibe is sort of there and some secondary characters, like the Gold Dust owner Katie add some personality. The highlight though is the relationship between the hero and heroine, they have some funny, cute, and sweet byplay. The hero is the softy here and has no problems declaring his love. The ending drags some with the heroine using her parent's love lost at the end marriage as the angst to keep them apart.

2 comments:

  1. I've only read one book by this author. Although my notes on it reveal I liked it enough, I confess I don't remember the plot anymore... By your words on this one you have read, it seems to me I'd have similar impressions were I to read it.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm definitely a big fan of this author, so I don't hesitate to recommend :)

      Delete