Tuesday, May 18, 2021

#TBRChallenge: May Fairytale/Folklore

 


After two months of posting my challenge review late, I'm determined to get this one on time! This #TBRChallenge is set-up by @SuperWendy (blog). Besides the theme months, this is a pretty relaxing challenge. On the third day of every month participants are encouraged to use the hashtag TBRChallenge and discuss the book they plucked from obscurity. I decided to make a personal rule that a book had to be in my TBR for at least 5 years.

May's theme is Fairytale/Folklore. I'm kind of (absolutely completely) a sucker for the beauty and the beast theme, so I knew I'd at least have some books on my tbr that would fit for this month. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge was the first book I came to that I already had my Kindle (woo-hoo for catching the $1.99 sale years ago). I put it on my tbr in 2014 and I still remember all the hype this had during that time. Plenty of people have talked about how it is a beauty and beast theme, so checkmark. I'm about 20% in already and it is loaded with Greek and Roman mythology also. The writing style feels a bit informal but I think it matches the young adult tag I've seen people give it. Looking at friend reviews I also see raving 5 stars to raving 1 stars, books that have such a divide are always interesting to read. The beginning has thrown a lot of information in the form of folklore for the world building, I'm hanging in there but I'm going to need it to even out soon. 

Can't wait to see if there are other beauty and the beast fans out there like me and all the other fairytale/folklore picks for this month!


TBRChallenges:


No comments:

Post a Comment