Friday, December 30, 2016

The Romancies - Part 7: Best Contemporary, Best Historical, and Best of 2016

I say this every year but I can't believe how fast it all goes by and how busy the last couple weeks can get. This will probably be the first year I don't make my reading goal but I still look back on the reading year fondly. As always, I have enjoyed chatting, sharing love, and disappointments about books with all of you. Every single one of you, whether we chat often or infrequently make my reading experience richer. I can't wait to discover books with all of you in 2017 :)

The following are my top ten contemporary and historical (because they should be separate categories! Listen up Goodreads) books I had the privilege of reading this year. 
(In no particular order)

*The books eligible could be published in any year, they simply had to be read by me in 2016.
Clicking on book cover brings you to my review if I wrote one or Goodreads page if I didn't.



Nominees:

Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid  23398817  A Midnight Clear by Emma Barry

Irresistibly Yours by Lauren Layne  25125233  The Right Kind of Trouble by Shiloh Walker

The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks  When All The Girls Have Gone by Jayne Ann Krentz  Heated Pursuit by April Hunt

Deception Island by Brynn Kelly


Winner:

Heated Pursuit by April Hunt

This wasn't my highest rated but I can't deny the enjoyment I got out of it. The first in the Alpha Security series, this romantic suspense may recycle a lot of the sub-genres favorites but it was full of fun, heart, and charm. It was one of my nominees for Best Couple and Rafe won for Best Hero. The characters and the hero's charm is why I love reading about the good bad boys. As a debut, this has me super exited for future books in the series.








Nominees:

Claiming Her by Kris Kennedy  The Highlander by Kerrigan Byrne  A Christmas Promise by Mary Balogh

Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt  True Pretenses by Rose Lerner  Sweet Disorder by Rose Lerner

How to Rescue a Rake by Jayne Fresina  To Lure a Proper Lady by Ashlyn Macnamara  Forevermore by Kristen Callihan

2139577


Winner:

Claiming Her by Kris Kennedy

This was such a close race with The Highlander and To Lure a Proper Lady trying to sneak in there. However, I often bemoan missing the feeling of the time period in historicals, this author nailed it. The heroine and hero were strong, smart, and brave and together provided some amazing push and pull chemistry. The focus was on the couple but the outer story was also incredibly historically rich with Elizabeth I making appearances and strategic maneuverings. This was brilliantly historical, emotional, hot, and engaging. So, it should come as no surprise that it is also my pick for, 


A nominee in Best Scene and winner for Best Couple, this will definitely be one I reread for years to come. 






Agree or disagree with me? Let me know your favorites from the year.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment