Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Review: The Hellion Bride

The Hellion Bride The Hellion Bride by Catherine Coulter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

2.5 stars

“I love you, Sophie Sherbrooke . I never thought such a thing existed, but evidently it does. I love you and I will love you until I cock up my toes and pass to the hereafter and I will still love you even as I float about in eternity. And I will continue to force you to pleasure until you accept my love and take me into your heart as well as into your body.”

I really liked the first half of this, the leads snapped, sparked, and challenged each other. The heroine had numerous great quotes about the crap women have to deal with and calling out the injustices. The second half went downhill for me. There were some forced and feeling pointless plot points but the biggest disappointment was the lack of romance I felt between the two.

The heroine has well deserved trust issues with men and needed time to learn to trust Ryder, heal, and become confident and comfortable with not only her own sexuality but being intimate with Ryder. The above quote is moving and all but the last sentence is the problem I had with the whole second half. Ryder decides and forces Sophie to sexually accept him on his timetable and what he thinks is best for her. No, dude. The sex scenes were awful,  a book club would need more than one meeting to discuss the consent and emotional issues.

I ended up not believing in their romance, the murder-mystery plot fizzled, and two pointless zombie lusting characters make a pointless appearance.
Enjoyed the first half and was disappointed in the second. Rounded up because of the heroine and her truth bombs she liked to drop.

For more quotes, comments, and discussion - Buddy Read The Hellion Bride

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment