Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Review: Under Locke

Under Locke Under Locke by Mariana Zapata
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Thanks to Quirky Omega for the recommendation!

3.2 stars

This had a glimmer or whiff of Kristen Ashley's writing but toned down. It is told in first person all from the heroine's pov and as I broken record say with this format, I missed getting an internal look into the hero. The romance is kind of a slow burn and I enjoyed the growing taking place.
I will say, around the 70% mark, I started to feel like the story was running long. There's some repetitiveness but I don't want to say the story is dragged out, it just moves more slowly than your average romance; no one's falling in love in two days.
Even though the hero is in an MC, it is definitely to the periphery, he's more of a tattoo parlor owner. He has immature anger management issues (a book club would be fun to discuss/shred his personality) and the heroine has a bit of never let it go-ness for far too long; there's definitely issues here.
The secondary characters were able to be more flushed out because of the pace and page count which I really enjoyed and would show up for a few secondary characters (Sonny!) staring in their own books.
I liked this one and even though the shine started to wear off around 70%, I still enjoyed the journey and writing style of the story. I'll definitely give another of the author's story a try.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I love that the romance is slow burn. Never heard of this author before. Great review, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right?! I love slow burn romances, the building of emotion is what I'm here for! This was the first I've read from her, too. A few friends are recommending Wall of Winnipeg by her also saying its a good slow burn.

    ReplyDelete