Tuesday, January 4, 2022

The Romancies - Part 1: Favorite Cover

  Like the Oscars but way more prestigious ;)


Happy New Year! It feels a little odd saying this when I have a feeling the next couple weeks are going to be extremely rough in the USA and other parts of the world but my sincere best wishes to everyone, where ever and how ever you spend and get through this beginning of year. 

I felt like I got my reading mojo back in 2021 but I only ended up reading 136 books, which is the lowest for me since 2011. I read 152 last year but a lot came from KU and some books that were, umm, less than challenging. I didn't fully make my goal of reading less ARCs but I did stick to not requesting any, I didn't accept any unless a publisher or author contacted me directly about the book. I also stuck to my themed months and this caused me to get behind in ARCs but helped me keep my reading mojo, I can't write a review for every book I read, I need books where I'm not taking notes and analyzing. I also got a Bingo in Halloween Bingo, which I am very proud of, joined in 10 out of the 12 months for SuperWendy's #TBRChallenge, and joined in a fair amount of buddy reads. I loved how joining and sticking to these challenges kept my reading feeling fun and fresh.


The books eligible for my Romanices can be published in any year, (I'm still in 2017 for my new-releases tbr), they simply had to be read by me in 2021. There will be the usual 9 categories, Favorite Cover; Favorite Secondary Character; Favorite Scene; Favorite Quote; Favorite Leads; Favorite Couple; Favorite Contemporary and Historical, and Favorite of 2021. As I participate in Halloween Bingo, some horror books could sneak in there; basically any book I rate or discuss on GoodReads is fair game. 

Without further ado, let me kick off the award show today with Favorite Cover, I try very hard to not let how much I liked or disliked the actually story affect this one, all visual judging a book by it's cover here :)

Click on the cover for my review if I wrote one and if I didn't, you'll be directed to it's GoodReads page







Nominees:














1.  Wild Women and the Blues by Denny S. Bryce -  I know this is the first question on everyone's mind and yes, this dress does make an appearance in the book. The dress, how the model is positioned, and the title over her, gah, perfection. I'm instantly transported to the 1920s and asking Alexa to play some blues and jazz. 

2.  Hang The Moon by Alexandria Bellefleur -  A cartoon cover! I know, I know, I've been known to bemoan these but this one is cute/swoony. The Seattle skyline to setting intrigue me and the couple's embrace (leg kick!) to romance me. The color palate is a personal favorite, I'm a fan of purples and pinks and I think it also gives a fantastic dusk or dawn!, we don't know what these two crazy kids have been up to, vibe. 

3.  The Wildest Ride by Marcella Bell -   If you've followed me for a while, you know all about my cowboy thirst and holy hell does this cover deliver for me. The cowboy hat with head tilt (I just know he's about to lift and turn his head to me and give me a slow sexy smile) and that fitted to perfection shirt, had me agreeing to read this before I even glanced at the synopsis. As I sat and scholarly pondered this cover, I had the fleeting thought that the shirt unbuttoned could have really put this over the top but, honestly, I might not have survived. The cool tones also give me some Western vibes, too. 

4.  Anatomy:  A Love Story by Dana Schwartz -   Her dress is in the shape of a human heart! Genius. The red and pink deliver on some romantic vibes while the shape gives me the Gothic tones. Look I thirst over the man titty but I also appreciate thought and ingenuity.

5.  Heartless by Gena Showalter -   My man titty selection for this year. Knowing the story creeped in a little here, he's King of the Dusklands in a fictional land and I like how the colors are dark, giving in to his character and homeland's persona, the lack of shirt tells me untamed! but the moon shining brightly behind him alludes to light at the end of the tunnel.

6.  Foolish Hearts by Synithia Williams -   Foreheads touching, hand holding, and the rising sun perfectly framed between them, romance cover at it's finest. This cover screams these two are going to be cute, romantic, and emotional. I am so so so glad they didn't do a cartoon version of this, it hits so much harder with the models. 

7.  Kissing Under the Mistletoe by Suzanne Enoch, Amelia Grey, and Anna Bennett -   I mean, top notch holiday book cover, the vibrant dark green dress, the pine trees in the background, and the snow coming into the "camera" (genius by the way). I also love the title, it all welcomes me with open arms for some holiday goodness. 

8.  The Duke Heist by Erica Ridley -   Along with cowboys, I also have a love of dramatic cover dresses, I was a little shocked that this year I didn't really have any to pick from that grabbed my attention. This dress isn't that flaring dramatic but I love the gold, I feel like this is an underutilized color. It feels warm and silky sensual all at the same time. It's soft from the coloring and hot, with how they're sitting on the chaise lounge. I love historical romance covers like this.  

9.  Undercover Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams -   Another cartoon-y cover but it's cute with how it matches the title, a guy "hiding" that he is reading a romance. It's delivering the message that this story will be cute and fun and my broody heart likes those every once and a while. 

10.  Pestilence by Laura Thalassa -   I always feel like fantasy books get the best covers and this kind of gave me that crossover that I've been craving, adult romance fantasy. The glowing tattoos going up his hip bone and across collarbone, the long hair with armor, all chef's kiss. 


Winner:

#1  Wild Women and the Blues 



This was really a battle between the top row but the perfect title over that gorgeous dress takes the crown because of how I instantly am transported to the time; I can hear the music and smell the smoke.




2020 Winner

















What was your favorite cover of 2021?

Stay tuned for Favorite Secondary Character....




3 comments:

  1. I'm backtracking these older posts and catching up. Yes! This cover was by far the best in 2021! I just wish the book was as amazing. Still decent, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honoree and her pov chapters were so good, I do wish it was even more her story than swapping out so much with Sawyer.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. His chapters slowed the story and felt unnecessary.

      Delete