Friday, January 28, 2022

The Romancies: Part 7 - Favorite Contemporary, Historical, and Book of 2021

 The following are my top ten contemporary and historical books I had the privilege of reading this year. (In no particular order) 


*The books eligible could be published in any year, they simply had to be read by me in 2021. 
Clicking on book cover brings you to my review if I wrote one or Goodreads page if I didn't.




Nominees:











Winner:


When I tell you the agonizing struggle I went through to decide between this and Love at First, well, it's embarrassing for something I don't even get paid for, lol. I originally rated Unbound 4.7 stars and Love at First 4.5 stars. Yeah, that's how close it was. Unbound takes the crown for having a not the run of the mill (at least for the majority of books I read) feel and the teeth gritting emotional wreckage break my heart punch me in the gut leave me watery eyes satisfyingly wrung out. Layers, depth, and emotion. I read this in Jan of '21 and I still remember so much from it. For someone with a poo memory, that alone speaks volumes.


2020 Winner








Nominees:
























Winner:


I know the Las Vegas betting pools favored A Lady Awakened to win this, so I hope some of you Wives of Bowie Stone made some money :)  Originally, I rated A Lady Awakened 4 stars and The Wives of Bowie Stone 3.7 stars but I still think I have to give it to The Wives of Bowie Stone. It's probably because I had two heroines, Rosie and Susan, to double the heartache and cheer for but also, Rosie was a character that broke my heart just a little bit more than Martha from A Lady Awakened. My Gawd!, some of the scenes and lines Rosie was involved in with Bowie and the heart wrenching emotion behind her thoughts and actions. Then you had Susan, who starts off less assuming in her struggles but goes on to shine so damn beautifully. This was a hidden gem for me and I'll forever tell people to search this oldie but a goodie out. 



2020 Winner









Favorite Contemporaries and Historicals







What were your favorite books read in 2021?

2 comments:

  1. Damn, I'm thinking I need to re-read this book. I gave it 3.5 stars and I usually don't give less than 4 to CM. I didn't review it, but I know one reason was the kink. While I do occasionally read (romantic) erotica, I avoid some of the tropes and since it was a few years ago, Rob's kink was new for me. I think it has to do with my disinterest in Domme/sub romance/erotica. Back then, Unbound pushed that line for me. If I read it now, it might be a different story. Yet, all the things you loved about this book and what you've reminded me of - emotional depth, character growth, McKenna's consistent writing, the prose, the sexual balance compared to their emotional state - it was fantastic. I think I had put too much emphasis on that one element and in my inexperience, it had made me uncomfortable. Therefore, I let it have a big affect on my rating. I'm seriously considering a re-read very soon! Maybe after I finish the Curio vignettes by McKenna. I'm currently on #5 (Confession.)

    I had fun catching up with the Romancies. I love seeing reader friends' best of lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read it at this age, instead of younger because I think I wouldn't have gotten the elements as well. I can see where the kink wouldn't be for everyone's taste and probably why I didn't read this early because it isn't a kink that interests me either. Honestly, if it wasn't by McKenna, I probably wouldn't have picked it up.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the Romancies :) I grumble about how much work it is to go back and read through my reading for the year but I also enjoy the reminiscing of it all. I also like how it gets people to pick up books they might otherwise passed by or not heard of.
      End of year best lists are my favorite too!

      Delete