Monday, June 14, 2021

#TBRChallenge: June Book with One Word Title

 


This #TBRChallenge is set-up by @SuperWendy (blog). Besides the theme months, this is a pretty relaxing challenge. On the third day of every month participants are encouraged to use the hashtag TBRChallenge and discuss the book they plucked from obscurity. I decided to make a personal rule that a book had to be in my TBR for at least 5 years.

June's theme is Book with One Word Title. I loved the beginning obscurity of this one! With the other themes, I had a few books or authors immediately drift through my mind when I read the prompt, not so with this one. I can get a bit blind to titles (are romance genre titles more goofy, the song titles, y'all :/, than other genres or am I too close for objectivity?) so my mind was blank. I had an excited "OOooh, time to search through my abyss tbr (aka garage sale book boxes) and a worried "I'm about to get lost in searching", as all bookworms know, one does not simply paw through books without half reading them and getting sidetracked. After about ten minutes of searching, I came upon Moonrise by Anne Stuart. If you know anything about Stuart's books and my personal love/hate/obsession/guilt/love with Stuart's heroes, you'll know my face made this expression, after I made sure "Moonrise" was in fact one word, lol,:

Stuart's books are not for everyone and I'm kind of glad they're not; call them anti-heroes or something else but problematic definitely needs to be in the conversation. I wouldn't want teenage girls starting their romance journey with her but yeah, I love to hate them/hate to love them. Moonrise is also romantic suspense, which is one of my favorite sub-genres because I love action/danger with my romance (Knight and Day didn't get the love it deserved). Anyway, I'm already about 20% in and the hero's first thought when he saw the heroine and his ending thought in the last chapter I read, was about killing the heroine. Which seems on par because one of Stuart's heroes has the dubious honor of being called an asshole (Consumed by Fire) the most times in any review I've every written. 

I'm not completely sure when I put this particular Stuart on my tbr, but all her books have, at least mentally, been on my tbr since I first read her, which was in the late '90s. I can't wait to see what other one word titles everyone else is picking!



TBRChallenges: 





2 comments:

  1. This author is new to me. I'll give her a read. I've been liking a-hole heroes lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you definitely need to be reading Anne Stuart then, historical and contemporary a-hole heroes galore, lol. Historical I liked her Scandal at the House of Rohan and Contemporary the single title Now You See Him and series Ice. She also has a lesser known paranormal series called Fallen that I liked.

      Delete