Saturday, February 13, 2021

#TBRChallenge Reading Update: 20%

 

Chapters 2-4 discussion (Spoilers in my updates)......

“I can get you funds, Mr. Mirkwood, in exchange for something from you. I need to conceive a child.”

Well, then. Like I said in my previous update, I like how she's open and honest with him. We get a better look at Theo here, too. He's being, for all intents and purposes, babysat by a Mr. Granville who is supposed to teach him estate running and some responsibility. At first I thought I would have liked a London scene with his father showing the conversation but now I think I like this slower lead-in to Theo.

Honey-colored hair, just on that border between blonde and brunette. The kind of hair that went luminous under sunlight, but kept its secrets indoors.

Some of that gorgeous writing I was talking about and gah, I could talk about this line and description all day.

We learn that Martha was only married for 10 months and that she agreed to the marriage because her father was dying, her mother died in childbirth, and she didn't want to be a dependent of her brother, call back to beginning and strengthens her "mutinous" attitude. 

They were conspiring against him, the virtuous people of the world. Plainly they did not want him among their number. Well, who was he to battle on when such might was arrayed on the opposing side? Between respectable Mrs. Russell bribing him into her bed, and worthy Mr. Granville all but ordering him back there, what could he do but succumb?

*********

One goose approached, stretched out its neck, and hissed at him, a distinctly triumphant look on its face.

There's little dashes of humor in this that I'm really enjoying, Theo and Granville's cross-talk about cottages, Granville saying he should spend more time with Martha because she is so respectable and Theo could learn some estate running while Theo is thinking about the real reason he is going over to see Martha. I also found myself giving an actual laugh out loud when Theo and Granville were visiting his renters and the pig was trying to get in. I'm notorious for never laughing at books that people find hilarious, but that scene made my weird funny bone tick. 

How much of this nonsense would she be obliged to endure?

The sex scenes are emotionally rough because of how distant and mechanical Martha forces them to be and Theo flirting, trying to get to know Martha and warm her up but then giving up and just giving her what he wants. Making it through them requires you to keep in mind the bigger picture and how we're starting at ground zero in their emotional journey. 

“The precipitating incident, if you would know, was my expenditure of two months’ allowance to buy a single snuffbox. Sèvres.”

**********

“You see my ignorance. But at least I have some idea of what a gentleman ought and oughtn’t to stand for, and it plain strikes me as a shabby way of doing things. Doesn’t it strike you?” On these last words, he raised his head to face her again, eyes lit with earnest appeal. He could not have said anything more right; anything more exquisitely tailored to win her sympathy, her support, her better regard.

Theo is clearly ignorant of his privilege but the juxtaposition of him saying, talking about the snuff box and then his thoughts during and after the visit to his renters, shows a man starting and willing to think and make a change, which I love reading. Characters that grow and don't start off perfect are always more of a personal favorite. I'm only in the first four chapters, but I'm happy Theo is already starting this journey, it gives him dimensions and makes me more interested in him because he can improve. I also like some of the economical threads woven in, the ideals and period placing it provides.

Of course no girl in this cottage was likely to attend balls, but the simpleminded daughter might have to remain here always, watching her younger sisters grow past her to contrive their own establishments.

These chapters managed to not only get a laugh out of me but also some watery eyes. This observation, thought, and feeling from Theo hit hard. I feel like a lot of the time the compassion and empathy is directed to the family of an intellectually disabled member, instead of the person themselves. Usually, the hero or heroine is caring for them and it's always, "How noble of you!". The last of this little thought feeling was just, watery eyes.

“I don’t believe you’re listening.” Her voice dropped a good dozen degrees in warmth. 
“Not to the words.” He bent his head to brush his lips over the thin, blue-veined skin. “But you’re rather lovely when you speak so. All ardent and crusading.” 
Could any woman on earth really welcome such a remark?

I mean, Theo, my man, No. But also, good for characterization and not having Theo do a 180, he's changing but he's not changed and I'm anticipating the emotional journey we'll, hopefully, be reading for him to get there, not to mention Martha's shell cracking open. I'm getting a slight whiff of Henry from Northanger Abbey to Theo, don't take me wrong, a highly sexualized difference between the two but he sprang to mind when I was reading Theo. 
(Or maybe I'm just wilding, lol)

They've had sex five times and on the sixth Theo has problem with the mechanicalness of how Martha is trying to keep it. I think I can see why some didn't like this, it starts off pretty cold and you have to have the patience for the engine to warm up. If you read my reviews, you'll know I love my building block journeys, so I'm a happy camper. After that last bedroom scene, I can just feel the crackling tension wanting to spark.

No comments:

Post a Comment