Tuesday, February 16, 2021

#TBRChallenge Reading Update: 100%

 

Chapters 16 - End discussion (spoilers in updates)....

If only they did not have wives and children to share in the punishment for their wrongs.

*********

“I know. Only I expected to feel grand and righteous, doing so. I had no thought of all its feeling so mixed-up and awful.”

James Russell finally makes his appearance and I actually enjoy how the author makes him seem ineffectual and doesn't ascribe to him a domineering presence. Along with Martha we learn that he's married and has two sons. Moral dilemma time with Martha feeling bad about disinheriting the sons and actually liking his wife. 

Mrs. Weaver nodded once as her husband, beside her, put a coarse knuckly hand over hers. 

****************

 “I’ll put it plainer still.” Mrs. Weaver lifted a gaze that could give a man nightmares. Her voice shook with sentiments too dark to have names. “If you stay in this country I’ll stick a knife in your foul throat. Though I go to the gallows for it and leave my children orphans, I promise you I will.”

Did I mention how much I want a Weaver novella? I WANT A WEAVER NOVELLA. 

Martha comes up with the idea to bring everyone together to lay it out for James Russell and tell him that if he does inherit they will make life miserable for him and Mrs. Weaver puts it out there even more. This scene of them inviting James in and them all sitting at the table ready to confront him really worked to make my eyes water, mostly because of Mr. and Mrs. Weaver but gah, the support and determination in this scene. But, yeah, WEAVER NOVELLA.

Such tricky business, being a husband. Knowing when to be your wife’s champion, and when to stand back that she might be her own. So many large and small skills to master beyond simply pleasing a woman in bed. Yet one more unexpected lesson from his time in Sussex.

Wonderfully said. This is where I think this book excelled, it gave me the depth and emotion, not just the sex. The sex was actually probably where this turned out to be the weakest. 

After the confrontation scene and knowing James had sons, I knew where this was going to head and I almost was yelling out for Martha to hurry up and come to the conclusion. Theo gets a good grown-up and stand-up to daddy scene with some lovely supporting from sister. It's a bit of a quiet ending but this story was definitely all show and not tell and I greatly enjoyed that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment