Saturday, October 31, 2020

Review: The Night Circus

The Night Circus The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Mini-Review

For a story that spans over a decade, I can't believe how much doesn't happen. There are two leads, Celia and Marco, and they are competing in some kind of magical war. Why and what it means when either wins, NO CLUE. I spent the majority of this thinking it was just introducing characters, kind of following Celia and Marco, and time jumping. The venue for their competition is the circus and they each build tents trying to showcase their magical abilities. Real people work there and they get caught up and bound into the competition. 
 
The concept was incredibly interesting, a magical circus with two magician opponents, and just a general cool atmosphere. The concept was there but the worldbuilding and character development was not for me. Celia was the most flushed out but Marco and their romance never expanded beyond the storyboard for me. Plus, the whole train that the circus travels on can go across oceans? Magic, I guess but the author left out so many details for me to see and feel this world. 

I honestly felt like I had no idea what was really happening or understood a modicum of this world until around the 60-70% mark when we get some explanations. A long time to go in a book and by that time I didn't really care and my eyes kept wanting to glaze over. The ending used a character that was thrown in just to give a, somewhat, happy ending. I don't know, this seemed like a really great second draft that needed more editing and building. 

No comments:

Post a Comment