Thursday, October 1, 2020

30%


 *Spoilers in updates

Ayoola summons me with these words—Korede, I killed him. I had hoped I would never hear those words again.


This is told in first person and starts right away with Korede helping, well, let's be honest, doing all the work to dispose of her sister Ayoola's boyfriend's body. This is apparently the third time Korede has done this.

“Femi makes three, you know. Three, and they label you a serial killer.”

Ayoola claims that she felt physically threatened by the boyfriend and there is some alluding that this has been her excuse each time. As Ayoola's personality gets revealed more though, she's obviously extremely selfish, self-centered, and narcissistic, so, there is some moments when Korede starts to question why these three men have been killed. 

Korede's a nurse, so it makes sense why and how she knows the best way to clean blood up and dispose of the bodies. 

There's a coma patient at Korede's hospital that she talks to and she tells him about her killer sister and her crush on a doctor she works with, Doctor Tade. I just know this coma patient is going to wake up and say he heard everything Korede told him. This makes me wonder if she's going to have to kill him?

#FemiDurandIsMissing has gone viral. One post in particular is drawing a lot of attention—Ayoola’s. She has posted a picture of them together, announcing herself as the last person to have seen him alive, with a message begging anyone, anyone, to come forward if they know anything that can be of help.

Her sister posted this on Instagram and if I was Korede I would have freaked out and be seriously thinking about turning this girl in for reward money or a way to lessen my own prison sentence. 

This takes place in Lagos, Nigeria and there was a scene with a cop and how Korede had to bribe him to get her leave him alone and I think this helps set-up why Korede hasn't went to the police or fears going to the police. There's also a passage of Korede remembering her childhood and first finding out that Ayoola was beautiful and she wasn't. It makes you hurt and angry for Korede that this has set-up Ayoola always getting away with things and maybe why Korede is stuck in this take care of Ayoola mind-set. 

I'm wondering about their deceased dad, too. The knife Ayoola likes to kill the men with was their father's and the alluding from Korede was that he wasn't the nicest to them. She mentions that if she had taken her father's beloved knife she would have destroyed it, while Ayoola almost has a reverent relationship like her father did and kills with it. 

“I’m Korede’s sister,” she announces. 
He looks from her to me, then back to her again. “I didn’t know you had a sister?” He is talking to me, but his eyes have not left hers. 
Ayoola pouts. “I think she is ashamed of me.” 
He smiles at her; it is a kind smile. “Of course not. Who could be? Sorry, I didn’t get your name.”
“Ayoola.” She puts out her hand, the way a queen would for her subjects. 
He takes it and gives it a gentle squeeze. “I’m Tade.”

After all Korede has done for this man, I say let her sister and her knife have him! Really though, you can feel Korede's desperation at being out shown by her sister again and with a man she really liked and wanted more with, not to mention her fear that Ayoola could end up killing him. 

The story format is really short chapters and it is making me breeze through the story, I get caught up sometimes on looking up words or food but this has a quick to grab you and hang on reading style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment