Thursday, April 25, 2024

Reading Update: Page 1

 


One of my secret desires in life was to be a ballerina, unfortunately, I live the awkward clumsy life instead. Fortunately, I get to enjoy the talent of others. 

Everyone knows Misty Copeland, but the first to break out is usually not the First. Lydia Abarca had major success during her time but I've never heard her name before! 

Time to learn about the Dance Theatre of Harlem and all their accomplishments that helped pave the way for others. 




2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is an ARC I was not approved for, that I was very interested in--the the same reasons you name. So many people from Black communities who actually broke the race/segregation barrier in their time, then were deliberately erased from history by white supremacy and its advocates, in a system built to deny the excellence of anyone who's not white. (And usually straight, cis and male)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's why preservation efforts are so important, history gets lost repeatedly. The HistoryMakers is getting a few little shout-outs in this and I wish more people supported them.

      Delete