Sunday, May 8, 2022

Review: The Jade Temptress

The Jade Temptress The Jade Temptress by Jeannie Lin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.3 stars 

I buddy read this, for full comments and thoughts: Jade Temptress Buddy Read 

I'm going to tell you all now, get those bets in on Mingyu for my favorite lead in the Romancies awards. She's a powerhouse in this and I'd read this a million times over solely because of her. 

That blow had quieted her momentarily, but it did not silence her forever. Mingyu had never forgotten. 

I have some complaints and struggled with the ultimate way the murder mystery wrapped up, it felt really loose with some reveals and even though they were red-herrings some characters really faded away to the sides making the ending of the murder mystery feel really sedate. Xi Lun's character purpose really fell apart for me. 

The romance was restrained underlining emotion but the last 20% I spent wanting to wring Kaifeng's neck and some of the previous work done, especially by Mingyu felt ignored, which was really disappointing. 

But, that last 5%ish had my eyes watering because of how Mingyu and Kaifeng were together.

No comments:

Post a Comment