Sunday, October 18, 2020

30%

 

*Spoilers in updates

Was it really true as they tried to convince me that I, a romantic and rather feckless girl, had been betrayed as many had been before and because I could not face this fact, had fabricated a wild story which none but myself could believe 

Uh oh, is this setting up an unreliable narrator? 

I believe that it was then that I convinced myself that one day there would be someone in my life who would be to me as my father was to her. I thought that this deep, unquestioning, unshakable devotion was for everyone to enjoy. Perhaps that was why I was such an easy victim. 

Her mom was of noble blood and he dad was a university student but they meet in the woods and feel in love, defying both families by marrying. Her mom had weak health though and ended up dying when she was young. Her father's two sisters come to help take care of her but they seem a bit old bitties. Even though her parents had such a loving marriage, it sounds a little lonely for her as they focused more on each other. 

He loomed up out of the mist like a hero of the forest on his big white horse. I went towards him. 

She describes herself as headstrong and a touch of wild, she's sixteen going to a school in Germany (well, this is late 1800's but German area) that her mother did and this meeting is similar to how her parent's meet. You can see why she's drawn to the man and moment. Very ominious and Gothic vibes while she's at the hunting lodge with the "wicked baron" but she ends up going back to the school and England after her father dies no worse for wear. Time moves kind of quick in this and she's now nineteen and her dad has died. She also is growing close to neighbor boy named Anthony. 

when the Gleibergs left England I was with them. 

I'm not sure I trust these Gleibergs, supposedly her mother's cousins. I smell a set-up! 

I was the wife of Maximilian, Count Lokenberg 

Of course, On the ninght of the seventh moon, she serediptiously meets her wicked baron. I'm a little thrown though that they're married, I don't believe it, lol. 

I didn't want to go. I wanted to stand there in that ruin and think of it all. How could I remember a dream so vividly? It wasn't possible. I could not bear my misery, because every minute they were convincing me that what had happened had indeed been unreal 

I knew it! So she thinks she ran off with Maximillian, got married, and spent a couple days loving it up at the the hunting lodge. When Maximillian has to go fix some family problems, she goes to stay with her cousins but when she wakes up, they tell her it was all drug induced dream she came up with because she was raped. I'm believing Helena right now and that events happened the way she remembered. 

I don't know, I'm feel enraged on Helena's behalf, this seems like an epic gaslighting situation and I want to knock some heads in her honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment