Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Romancies - Part 7: Favorite Contemporary, Historical, and Book of 2018













I didn't make my reading goal this and in fact, read the fewest books in a year since 2011. This was due to just life and I think we can all agree that 2018 was a year filled with distractions. I stuck with my themed reading months and am really enjoying how it is helping me whittle down my tbr; random number generator is great at picking books that would otherwise languish on it.

I've still being trying to keep up with Menu Monday, which I realize now it has been about two months since I posted for that, must get back to it.
In personal goals, I finally managed to get a bingo in Halloween Bingo!

I hope you all have enjoyed this month long look back and reminiscing of books I read in 2018. The Romancies started off as a I'm grumpy alternative to GoodReads best books of the year, I couldn't handle how they didn't have a separate contemporary and historical category for romance books. New releases seem to get the most attention and I do see why but I hope seeing some of the hidden gems that make it to my nominees list encourages people to check some older books out. If nothing else, older published books will be easier on your wallet :)

I started The Romance Book Buddy Reading Group on GoodReads and love how reading with a buddy/ies has me diving deeper, appreciating, and discovering aspects to stories I might not have otherwise. Now that the work of putting the Romanices together is over, I plan on doing some more buddy reading. Hope to see you all in the group!

As always, love chatting, discovering, and reading with you all. I've always said, non-romance readers have no idea of the rebelling going on under those men's naked chest covers. 



The following are my top ten contemporary and historical books I had the privilege of reading this year. 
(In no particular order)

*The books eligible could be published in any year, they simply had to be read by me in 2018.
Clicking on book cover brings you to my review if I wrote one or Goodreads page if I didn't.



Nominees:
      

      

      




Winner:




A woman judged and put into a box by the world fights to break free and goes up against a grumpy, taciturn man but who reminds her of Gregory Peck from To Kill a Mockingbird, and quite possibly has a wildly softly strong beating heart.
Chemistry, wit, banter, and loving, best contemporary I read this year :)


2017 Winner







Nominees:

      

    

      




Winner:




This was close with An Extraordinary Union but for how this one took me off guard, I read so much historical romance it takes extra umph to surprise and delight me. The chemistry, spark, and interaction between Jemdanee and Mr. Ridley grabbed me and didn't let go. This won't be a story for everyone but ooh boy, will it hit the sweet spot for some.

2017 Winner 




Favorite contemporaries and historicals:

2016

2015

2014


I mean, probably not a surprise if you've followed my updates and read my review :)


Most of you have already done your best of list but if you haven't, let me know what your favorite reads from 2018!
My most anticipated reads for 2019 will be in my Romancies wrap-up post.


No comments:

Post a Comment