Friday, September 15, 2023

Review: Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Read for the Carpathians Halloween bingo square. 

There was one rule in the war between the vampires and the Lessening Society: Stay the fuck away from humans. 

I haven't been back to the BDB since 2016 and since this one starts right after #9, I felt a little lost for a minute. The main couple of this is Tohr and No'One, Tohr being the vampire that had his mate die and No'One having been tortured and raped by Bloodletter and also Xhex's mom. Angel Lassiter comes in as he warns Tohr that his grief is keeping his mate and their unborn child from crossing over into the Fade and it's basically alluded to that he needs to fall in love with No'One. As on par with BDB, there was some heavier emotional toll the characters have to go through, this takes place over a year as Tohr learns and deals with is grief and falling in love with No'One. 

Also on par with BDB, there is crap load of other character povs and plots going on. Xhex and John Matthew working out their marriage troubles, the Brotherhood of Bastards with leader Xcor trying to take out Wrath, Layla, Qhuinn, and Blay dynamics, and Lassiter's mission. I started to get more into this in the second half but you're going to have to like busy books with a lot of over arching threads and plots. I know a lot enjoyed Tohr's arc but I must have taken too big of a break from the series because I didn't have a strong emotional attachment and with the story focusing on so many other directions, I can't say what was supposed to be the main romance, Tohr and No'One, hit me the way it was supposed to. The ending had a last second shock to it but got resolved with a HEA. 

I am interest in Xcor making a play for Wrath's throne, that sounds like it could get messy and great drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment