Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Review: Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure

Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure by Courtney Milan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.3 stars 

*This is a TBRChallenge review, there will be spoilers, I don't spoil everything but enough, because I treat these reviews as a bookclub discussion. 
(also, a tv show Succession spoiler!) 

“They've had seventy-five years to defeat you,” Violetta said, turning to her. Her eyes were wide and dark, and she was almost certainly the dearest thing that Bertrice had seen in years. “What do you think it means that they've yet to accomplish it?” 

As with most Milan stories I read, this had some light and deep. The kind of quotes that make my eyes water out of nowhere, introspect, cheer, and rage with. A novella that read super quick but left me satisfied. I can just about guarantee I'll always recommend a Milan. 

Violetta has just been let go from her job of overseeing the accounts and running of a tenant building right before she is about to turn seventy, a move by her boss to stop from having to pay her a pension. Having funds that could see her through a few years, Violetta knows she has to plan for the later years of her life. She comes up with the scheme to go to the aunt of one of the tenants who hasn't paid his rent in two years, claiming to be the owner of the building, getting the aunt to pay the back rent and then disappearing with her ill gotten gains. 

Bertrice surprises Violetta, though, when she refuses to pay for her “Terrible Nephew” and instead comes up with her own scheme of “helping” Violetta evict the T.N. This, of course, won't help Violetta but she gets wrapped up into it all with a contract drawn up of Bertrice saying she'll pay the back rent if T.N. can't be kicked out. This kicks off some goofy schemes (a choir waking up T.N. in the morning, attacking fowl) and some “do you see what I'm trying to get you to think about” schemes (paying off sex workers to not sleep with T.N.). 

While Violetta and Bertrice get together to enact these schemes we get a budding friend and romantic relationship building. Both women in their late sixties, Bertrice forced to marry for security but having that money now and Violetta growing up without much security, they both represent the trials and tribulations women face/d in a society that works to disenfranchise and take their power from them. Their bonding, connecting, and friction from their two different lived experiences was felt. 

When the T.N. catches on, he starts to threaten Bertrice with having her declared mentally unstable and while Bertrice acknowledges the danger, she still pushes on, Violetta is beside her alternating worrying, cheering on, and helping. One of the aspects of Bertrice I loved, was the inclusion and discussing how present death can be later in life. She's been depressed as she's had people in her life pass on at greater numbers in the last two years. I haven't been able to shake a comment I saw about the tv show Succession, when Logan Roy's brother gave a brief eulogy I saw a comment discussing what it would feel like to have the only other person who shared memories and moments with you pass on. The lonely feeling that would give to not be able to laugh, cry, discuss, or have that understanding of those things with people who shared that with you. I thought that was touched on here wonderfully. 

With the shorter page count, the problem with the T.N. wraps up fairly quickly with Bertrice going for it and the third act breakup of Violetta's lie looming over them but actually brought more lightness than dark drama when readers find out what Bertrice actually knew. 

The epilogue was short but sweet and had me cheering for how it wrapped up. I found this a little lighter in tone than other Milan's, even with some of the deeper stop and make you think moments of social commentary. I often bemoan the shorter page count of novellas, but this was just about perfect (and an added bonus saying that I'd never heard about, how eating toasted cheese at night can have you dreaming about Lucifer!). Violetta and Bertrice had a sweet romance, there was bonding over shared experiences, depth, and a man got shown what was up, what more could you ask for?

14 comments:

  1. Skimmed the review because I have this in my TBR and hope to read it soon, and I'd rather not be spoiled, but yay for a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reads super fast! I'll be looking out for review to see your thoughts :)

      Delete
    2. I tend to hoard Ms Milan's work, and to read it only in case of emergency. However! this one story has moved closer to the top of mount TBR; I'm intrigued because some people whose tastes generally align with mine, and who's opinion I generally trust, had fairly negative reactions to it. Then here comes your positive rating, so, yeah. Soon.

      Delete
    3. I wouldn't say the romance was the strongest but I tend to get so much more out of Milan's work than only the main couple romance, so it didn't bother me the way it did others. If you show up only for the romance, you'd probably leave disappointed.

      I used to read Milan on release day, lol. Now I do tend to hoard, I was shocked I had a book of hers qualify for my 5 yr rule for TBRChallenge.

      Delete
    4. "I tend to get so much more out of Milan's work than only the main couple romance"

      Yes, exactly!

      Delete
  2. I've liked pretty much all the books by this author I've read until now, but this one doesn't really appeal to me... I'm happy you've liked it, maybe one day i might decide to take a chance on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milan is a favorite of mine too :) If you have time to ever give it a chance, it is shorter and reads fast.

      Delete
  3. This has a few "love is love" aspects with the age and lesbian romance. At first, I thought it was an historical, and had to read the beginning of the review a couple times. LOL. I'm glad this was a winner for you. I've not read many of Milan's works and will add this one for consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it is a historical romance; it's set in 1867.

      Delete
    2. Okay, thanks. Based on the cover and Milan's writing, I thought so, but then based on the review I wasn't sure. Regardless, it sounds like a good one!

      Delete
    3. Oops, sorry my review misled you for awhile! But, yeah, historical. Have you read the Brother's Sinister series by Milan? That's my favorite and always recommend those.

      Delete