Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Review: Fever

Fever Fever by Elizabeth Lowell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 stars

Unfortunately it had taken Rye two weeks to convince Edward McCall II that his son would not, repeat not, marry some useless Houston belle just to get his hands on the Angus bull.

Oh '80s books, never change.

"Little girl, you've got a lot to learn," he muttered under his breath. "And you've come to just the man who can teach you."

Umm, maybe do.

This one obviously had some dated problems and the hero clung to his "woman only want me for my money" bitterness for far too long. Lisa's actions didn't warrant it and it made that drama feel forced.

Even with those issues though, I really enjoyed this one. It scoots along pretty quickly and the dry sense of humor was delightful. I also want to claim Lisa as my buddy if there is ever an apocalypse, girl can get it done. Her background makes her sweet innocence believable and not icky and we do get glimpses of her backbone; I want a novella of these two from down the road where Lisa puts Rye even more in his place.

Rye needed to grovel just a bit more but the emotion he shows at the end (he cries!) gave an unexpected heartwarming ending. This takes place on a cattle ranch and I enjoyed the western touches and the feeling of being transported to a different place. You'll have to gird your loins for the term "Velvet Fever" to be used incessantly but hey, who couldn't use another euphemism for sex in their back pocket.

Bottom line, this was a little bit of a gem and if you ever see it at a garage sale or used book store, scoop it up.

"I've been missing you all my life and didn't even know it."

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. ::waving from the future::

    Yup, I own this one, and the second one, and I think you'd like it quite a lot too (only, there's more banana-pants in that one, with a bit more '80s misogyny on display)

    ReplyDelete