Saturday, March 16, 2024

Review: Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty Sleeping Beauty by Judith Ivory
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars 

This will always be the HE BROKE DOWN THE DAMN DOOR TO GET TO HER book to me. 

An older former courtesan/mistress and the up and coming scholar that refuses to go away, fall in love despite the challenges. 

Beginning has a vague vibe of screwball comedy, the middle has hot chemistry/building friendship, later second half has a villain trying to mess things up for them, and then the ending returns to some screwball comedy vibes to deliver the HEA. 

I buddy read this so for my thoughts and comments on it Sleeping Beauty buddy read This author always gets me talking, she's so good at depicting love in all it's highs and lows and never fails at the emotion. 

The pacing did feel off in the later second half but this is a rich story if you like the plot working to enrich the romance, which did make some moments feel a little slow. 

Read this solely for their first sex scene but stick around for all those little emotional moments that can hit you right in the heart. Then go to the buddy read and talk about it with me because I'll never tire of discussing this!

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to reread this one. I read it when I was feeling super grouchy and think I gave it a 3 but I remember the writing was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little slow in parts, so I can see getting annoyed there but oh, the emotion! I think if I'd read it in my early teens or twenties, I wouldn't have appreciated it as much either.

      Delete