Monday, November 8, 2021

Quickie Review: Devil's Daughter

Devil's Daughter Devil's Daughter by Lisa Kleypas
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.3 stars 

As Justin crouched to stare at the carving more closely, a glass marble dropped out of his pocket and hit the inlaid parquet floor. Dismayed, Phoebe and Justin watched the little sphere roll away rapidly. But its momentum was brought to an abrupt halt as the dark-haired man pinned it with the tip of his shoe in a display of perfect timing. As he finished his conversation, he bent to pick up the marble. The housekeeper bustled away, and the man turned his attention to Phoebe and Justin. 

Kleypas writing can be such a soothing balm to my soul. I talked about this in a reading update but the way she gives me those feelings of anticipation, giddy, excitement when our leads meet is just chef's kiss. brought to an abrupt halt as the dark-haired man pinned it with the tip of his shoe and the man turned his attention to Phoebe and Justin this is the moment where romance readers know these two are about to have their lives changed and it is on. I loved it, had me smiling like a dork. 

I wanted more moments with Phoebe and her parents together and separately, but I'm a freak for Devil in Winter so I'll never get enough of reading about Evie and Sebastian. Phoebe was a little quiet as a character and I wish we could have seen her coming out of her shell earlier as toward the end we saw her starting to emerge a little. 

With a faint curve of his mouth, West reached up to touch the low brim of his hat. Then he was out of sight. 

West had some sexy devil moments but I also thought he was a little washed out, he didn't want to scare Phoebe off but could he have gritted his teeth for me? 

Muttering beneath his breath, he paced away from her, swung around, and returned to her with heightened color and a scowl. “I’m haunted by you,” he said brusquely. “I can’t seem to stop looking for you everywhere I go." 

We do get a scowl and fan yourself line, I mean, I'm haunted by you. *Wheezes*. Kleypas' writing has built me back up from a very empty tank for Regency/Victorian romance, even though this wasn't my favorite by her. These two were more quiet and I would love a novella of them, in say, their 20th year of marriage because I think they would use that time to grow together very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment