Monday, May 16, 2022

#TBRChallenge: May - Tales of Old

 




This #TBRChallenge is set-up by @SuperWendy (blog). Besides the theme months, this is a pretty relaxing challenge and you can join at any time. On the third day of every month participants are encouraged to use the hashtag TBRChallenge and discuss the book they plucked from obscurity. I decided to make a personal rule that a book had to be in my TBR for at least 5 years.

It's already May and this is the first time I've been able to be enough ahead of the game to post early about what I'm reading for the challenge. Whoooeee busy bee. May's theme was Tales of Old and, of course, I took this to mean ye ol' Bodice Rippers. Laura Kinsale is one heck of a polarizing author, folks are loving or hating. Her style is definitely different, you'll have to search under the rubble for meaning and emotions. I've been meh on her (Shadowheart) to losing my emotional mind (Prince of Midnight - seriously read this and then come talk to me about it). Kinsale doesn't have a large backlist but Uncertain Magic has been on my tbr for what I'll guess to be around 20yrs, so I decided to pick it for this month. 

I'm 10% in and it's showing its 1987 publishing date. Roderica, Roddy, (I can't tell if I hate this name or love it) has a "gift" that allows her to read human and animal! emotions and thoughts. She once read her mom's thoughts about cheating on her father, EEK. Surprisingly, or should that be devilishly?, she can't read anything from Faelan Savigar (how 'bout that name), The DEVIL EARL. This is refreshing for Roddy and once she learns he needs money, she suggests they marry. Everyone seems to fear the Earl, whispers of murder!, but Roddy is all-in. 

Like I said, this first 10% has been a bit rough getting into but there's a scene where Faelan is asking her dad for her hand in marriage and the dad asks if Faelan loves Roddy and he kind of bewilderingly says yes, Roddy overhears this and thinks he's being a great actor but I think Kinsale is doing her Kinsale trademark emotions under the rubble and I feel that he is already having those "where did you come from, dazzled, you're nice to me??, and what is this heart thing in my chest beating harder?" emotions. 


It really could go either way at the moment, meh to losing emotional mind. Can't wait to discuss on Wednesday! 



TBRChallenges: 




No comments:

Post a Comment